Tuesday, 26 June 2007

There and the Message

The pictures on the top row are of...the swinging man at VivoCity! On Monday 11 June 2007, Anna and I went there after our Sentosa interview and we chanced upon some brochures of the art pieces in VivoCity...and the swinging man was featured in it! I was so excited that I took it home so I can blog about it. Haha.

The brochure says that the title of this art piece is There, and it is by Henk Visch from The Netherlands. I shall type out the description of the swinging man in the brochure:

"This energetic 'gymnast' swings from a horizontal bar perched more than 6 metres above the water feature in the Sky Park. Literally 'a man of steel', he doesn't rest, and inspires onlookers to step into the ankle-deep pool to cheer him on or take a photograph with him."

The artist says, "There celebrates Man's optimism and his belief that he can find everything he is looking for in this world. If something is not here, where he is, it must be there; just ahead of him, where he can find it if he looks beyond."

Oh no. I'm not inspired to step in the pool to cheer him on or take a photograph with him; I would rather laugh at how funny he looks whenever he starts swinging =P Neither do I think he represents optimism or the search for something beyond one's limited search space =P

Is there something wrong with me? Or am I just lousy at appreciating art? =P

The two pictures on the bottom row are of a message that Cathay displays on its movie screens if something goes wrong with their screenings of films. I was watching Fantastic Four with Sunshine on Wednesday 13 June 2007, and just at the scene where Ben (The Thing) reached out to touch Johnny (Human Torch) to see how it would be like if they switched powers, the screen flickered and went dark. Haha. It was as if their exchange of powers produced such a dramatic effect that this happened. So, in fact, that hitch actually happened at the "right" time. Haha. Anyway, it was my first time experiencing something like this, so I took photos of that message. =)

They managed to solve the problem later and we got to continue watching the movie without any other problems =)

Labels: , , ,

... andriTz* lost in her thoughts at 10:14:00...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home