NUS Flag Day 2005
Today was Flag Day, and it is voluntary. I went! Haha not bad right I am so compassionate ;) Haha kidding...Sex-bomb, Xiaobai and Dustbin crashed Arts O Week (Arts Orientation Week) with me because I think we can only go for the arts flag day's shift (everyone is involved but your shift depends on which faculty/group you are going with) if we are with the O-Weekers.
Anyway, I went for the Freshmen Inauguration Ceremony at the University Cultural Centre yesterday. Can't believe it I am actually attending all these important events! And it feels good. Really. Makes me feel more involved.
Sigh. Don't really wanna go through all the details so ask me personally if you wanna know. Haha. But I 've got to tell you that this is the most interesting flag day I have been for. We actually busked to solicit donations! Haha. Our "performance" consisted of four songs put together into a medley, viz Jesus Loves The Little Children, Rasa Sayang, 关怀方式 and Amazing Grace. Haha. Not bad I can't believe we actually managed to sing those songs over and over again. There was this woman who actually donated all her coins to each of us! Our two "collectors" were Anna and Dustbin you see, and they usually get all the donations, but this nice woman came to donate a bit to us all. Haha. =)
Haha I managed to make friends too. Anna was the only female non-crasher, and there were two male freshies. I think one of them is anyway. They are Dean and Kim Wong. Our seniors were Tian Ming and Clarence (think that is the spelling). Haha. Flag Day was quite fun today if you don't include the times we got chased away by security guards, reprimanded for competing with another real busker and asked to keep quiet because people couldn't stand our singing (more like the guys' anyway! Xiaobai, Sex-bomb and I were singing properly okay...the guys were the loudest and were also the most out of tune. Haha) . There was also this woman who donated and we sang to thank her. Guess what? Her young son actually covered his ears, turned away and gave a "Help! I can't stand their singing! Will they please shut up!" look. So discouraging...
Well when we first started off I was collecting with Dustbin, and although I was rejected a lot of times I didn't feel as bad because my group was there singing and it was...really encouraging somehow. Even though they didn't sound excellent. Haha. But later...it wasn't as bad as all the flag days I have been for but it was discouraging nonetheless. Heh.
Haha. Can't believe that I finally got to realise my idea of busking to get donations for flag day. You see, I had actually thought of it years ago but never had the chance to do it. Haha. Finally did it today, and I must say it is fun. The guys actually ended up not bothering about the donations and just loved to sing. Haha. Anyway, I must say it was weird singing Christian songs on the streets in multi-religious, secular Singapore but we lacked a good song database anyway! Haha...
So much for my fun day. Glad that I took part today though. =) Yay. Can attend Rag Day (Saturday 6 August 2005) with Anna now because I managed to change her driving lesson to Friday! Same as mine!! Hip hip hooray!! Haha...by the way Rag Day is to thank the public for their support on Flag Day. Think it is something like a chingay procession. Not sure though. Will update when I see it for myself. Haha.
Till another time then. I hope I solve it. =)


Post a Comment