Saturday, 18 July 2009

School

Quote of the day:

"I may not be able to wear a designer gown, but at least I'll get to wear a designed gown." - Mole, who said she's intending to enrol in LaSelle Sia College of the Arts for a fashion design course just so she can design her own wedding gown.

Met her yesterday for a very early dinner at 1600 (which was her lunch), and shopped for a document bag for her and a pair of shoes for me (because the pair I had bought at Far East Plaza last Sunday didn't fit well after all, and they really hurt my feet =( )

It's been three weeks since I've worked at SSS, and the experience there is neither very good nor very bad. The students there truly lack motivation, as I was brought back to earth by the VP's speech yesterday - too much contact with these students had made me taken for granted their lackadaisical attitude towards studying.

Incidentally, the VP had finally spoken to us in an informal "meet-the-new-teachers session" yesterday, after three weeks of cold treatment away from the rest of the staff in our musty ex-CCA room in a corner of the hall. They have since converted it into an official Trainee Teachers' Room, just for us (and future generations). How sweet. Haha.

Back to the main point as I seem to have drifted once again. I was doing not too badly, what with my conducting of a spelling test and getting the class to settle down to prepare for a lesson, as well as two chances to relief classes. Until Thursday when I had to relief a class, and felt totally like dust on the floor.

I had made mistakes then, like allowing my friend to stay with me to control the class, which only made things worse, and standing up throughout so that my presence was no longer felt. I had felt bad about sitting down because there was only one chair for the teacher in the classroom, and if I sat down my friend would not have a place to sit. And my ultimate blunder was definitely my shouting, "Why are you so quiet!...no, noisy!" to which the class laughed and the noise level remained as high as ever =( My earlier attempts at reliefing, albeit alone, were much better than that day's I must say.

That incident brought down my morale once again (I'm easily discouraged =( ) and I had to struggle to pick myself up. Friday was a good rest day because I met a new trainee teacher friend in my Chemistry class and felt less awkward for the first time in a classroom, and ended early (at 0900) because I did not have any more classes for the rest of the day. And thank God, no relief too.

Next Monday, I'm going to go through the answers of some grammar questions with a Sec 2 Normal Academic class. Hope I don't make a fool of myself again. I think I sound weird when I address a group of people.

Sigh.

Labels: ,

... andriTz* lost in her thoughts at 11:50:00...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home