Nice Dee =)
This morning, I decided to be nice and help my mum wash the clothes since she has been doing so for the past twenty over years and has washed her hands raw as a result. Erm, I intend to wash the clothes for her every Saturday at least. Haha =P My filial piety got the better of me yesterday as Dao and I were alone at home and he remarked that my mum's original plan (brought up in an impromptu family meeting that she called up one week ago) to get us to wash the clothes once a week was somehow never carried out. I somehow knew right from the start that she wouldn't be able to bear the thought of us washing those clothes every other day and secretly thinks us greenhorns wouldn't be able to do as good a job as her and - as a result would continue washing the clothes herself and complain of painful limbs every weekend. So...I suggested that Dao and I wash the clothes for her on weekends since she washes them for us on weekdays. A bit unfair still, but still better than last time =P He acceded, miraculously. OK LAH. He can be nice too =P
I've washed the family's clothes before on other occasions (like when my Mum goes overseas with her friends or when both my parents go on holiday together without us poor children because we have SCHOOL), and realised for myself how tough it is to scrub them with my hands, wring the detergent out of them and lug the clothes, heavy laden with water, from pail to pail after every wash. Today was no exception. As usual, I set the washing machine on the wrong mode. I was supposed to set it on "Super Spin Dry Spin" but thought it should be "Regular Spin". Oh well the latter makes logical sense doesn't it. AND as usual, I puzzled over why the washing machine would first fill itself up with water before spinning its drum. This time, I decided to break out of my stupidity and spoke up. Mum was outside watering the plants and doing goodness-knows-what (she usually stands outside after washing the corridors with the waste water from our washing to admire the fruits of her green thumb, enjoying the breeze at the same time) and Dee was at the computer, so I went over to ask him if I had done it wrongly. He does have some relevant experience with the washing machine, so he knew immediately that something was wrong.
We walked over to the washing machine together, and he stopped the machine. He lifted the lid (our washing machine is the top load kind) and we were almost not shocked to see it full to the brim with water in a what we thought was spin DRY mode. He then lowered the lid and tried to change the mode for me. To be honest on his behalf, he had reset the mode to the exact same one as mine and was about to start the washing machine again but this time, in SSH cleverer mode, I pressed the "Course" button and attempted to see if there was another mode that seemed more like DRY. And I found the "Super Spin Dry Spin" mode. HAHAHA.
The machine pipe started gushing out water this time, finally. Dee hurried to fill the pails with water, saying we shouldn't waste it. After a while of gushing, the machine started to spin its drum and the water flow slowed to a trickle. That was when we stopped collecting the water. Nothing else was said and we went back to do our usual stuff.
My Mum came in later and saw the pails of water. She asked how come there was so much extra water. No answer. She asked again. Still no answer from either of us. When she finally walked out of the kitchen and asked a third time, Dee put on a tone that made him seem like he was so engrossed in his computer screen that he only just heard her question (which was so fake because my Mum has a very loud voice), and said, "Yah lor." Haha.
Can you imagine it?
Mum: How come got so much extra water? (times 3)
Dee: Huh? Yah lor... (with his eyes still fixed on the computer screen)
I tried hard not to laugh at his stupid answer (it was like he did something wrong and wanted to pretend it was not his fault so as to avoid a scolding). *gags*
In the end, I emerged from my protective hole of a room and admitted my mistake. Thank goodness my Mum didn't scold me. =P
I know Dee was trying to help me somehow, and was rather touched. Haha. =)
Labels: family


Post a Comment