ACJC Nostalgia + Some Lessons Learnt
This extremely long post might be interesting to Shelz and Lester =)
I went back to AC yesterday after...goodness knows how long!
I had at first not wanted to go back for Fun-O-Rama XIX because of some reasons (and yes, I admit that I am the "said discouraging person" mentioned in Anna's blog. But I hadn't meant to discourage you; I was just telling you why I didn't want to go, and perhaps it evolved into an unwanted argument after that. Sorry), but as I approached its gates, I was flooded with nostalgia of the place...to copy the way journalist Ignatius Low had written in Lifestyle today, I saw the pavement which I had stood and crapped with my friends after school before we parted, the very same pavement on which we had walked happily or sadly after a major exam to the MRT to transport us to town (or wherever else), the track on which we were tortured during mass PE, the sports complex that Daryl, Anna and I had studied at so often just before the 'A' Levels, the warmingly identical scene of the stall layout of Fun-O-Rama that we ourselves had a hand in FOUR YEARS ago (gosh, I AM old :( ), the staircase at which I had so often looked out for Tungsten everytime after assembly and recess and change of classes (=P), the LTs that I had my favourite lectures in, and, all out of irrelevance, Maths. I must admit that I did like Maths lah, even though I kept insisting that I hated it =P But my dear spastics must already know that, don't you? =P Pity that I no longer get to be in contact with it :(
I didn't take any photos as, guess what? AC is just like it was then. Perhaps with a few minor differences, but basically, its essence has been preserved. Fun-O-Rama yesterday really seemed like the one we had 4 years ago, as I had said earlier.
That was perhaps why I had felt so overwhelmed by my memories as I approached the place where I had spent the best 2 years of my life yesterday. Immediately, I wondered to myself WHAT ON EARTH had made me not feel like returning.
Tim and Anna had wanted to go to Vivo for our free Ben & Jerry's ice-cream yesterday before returning to AC for cheap goods (as they usually slash prices near the end of the fair), but we ended up visiting and talking to our teachers instead. Which was good, because we realised later that I had made a mistake; the Ben & Jerry's offer is on 29 APRIL 2008, not March. -_- =P
Key:
Mr Kuna - Chem teacher
Mdm Tham - Bio teacher
Miss Too Suat Ling - GP teacher
Miss Kuah - Maths teacher
Anyway, we first met Mr Kuna, who seemed very excited to see us. "Hi Timothy! And Anna...and Stephanie!" he went, before Tim interupted and said, "No, she's Shee Hwee (nasally)." RRarrr. Haha.
"Yah lah Shee Hwee, but she's also Stephanie," replied Mr Kuna.
He remembers us!! I was amazed =P I mean, teachers get to meet hundreds of students every year; to be remembered by them is certainly an honour! :D He had lost weight! Poor thing :( After some talking and finding out that we were looking for Mdm Tham, he got busy with his florist business at the...lift lobby. Erm, to be more precise, the area below the spiral staircase. So we went to the staff room to look for Miss Kuah.
Just to mention, while talking to Mr Kuna, Miss Too suddenly appeared, seemingly out of nowhere. Her fringe is shorter than usual. Haha. After some "Uncle Timothy" and "Auntie Suat Ling" exchanges, she left us to go and buy lunch. Poor Mdm! The time then was already 3+ PM!! :(
Now why on earth didn't I ask Tim why and when they started calling each other Uncle and Auntie? Haha... =P
Miss Kuah was in the staff room, and we chatted for a while before she emerged with us to visit her class' stall. She was having a headache from all the noise outside, and had been taking a rest =P Weird that she started talking to us more in Mandarin! Haha... =P
When we stepped out, it was raining, so Miss Kuah decided to go back to the staff room to rest while we talked to Mdm Tham, whom we had met. She was doing her florist duty again after a break, I think. Haha.
Anyway, there is a Mdm Tham Fan Club on Facebook! Tim said he had joined it just for fun, and after I joined it myself today, I realised that Shelz is in the club too...wahaha. Too bad Mdm Tham herself is not on Facebook. Haha.
After chatting for a while, Mr Kuna suddenly popped over and said excitedly, "There! Timothy and Anna and Stephanie!"
"No lah, what Stephanie...ShiHui lah. When you told me 'Anna' I could picture, but 'Stephanie?' " said Mdm Tham.
As Tim tried to explain that I'm SSS (omg that looks funny), Mr Kuna said, "No she's also Stephanie. In fact, someone told me during class time that she is Stephanie."
I was feeling rather embarrassed but nevertheless still managed to utter, "Haha yah 'Stephanie' is not in my IC," as Mdm Tham came over to me and touched me on the arm as she said, "No lah I always call her ShiHui what right? (turned to look at me)"
Oops. But that argument between them was so cute. Wahaha.
After some recalling, I THINK the person who had told Mr Kuna that was Coffee. Haha. He had kind of relieved me from the "Shee Hwee" phenomenon, unwittingly. Haha. After Sir had called me "Shee Hwee", so did some of the brudders like Jason and Uma, and sometimes, Tim, for fun. Gahh. Haha. =P
Then later, we ran into Miss Too again, who hurried away after a while, to EAT LUNCH. Goodness! Haha...
Recalling my memories in AC makes me smile... =)
I love my teachers! :D
It was too late later to make a trip to Vivo and return before 5pm, when Fun-O-Rama ends, so we decided to stay on and spend all our coupons, courtesy of Chris (my NUS senior who is also an alumnus of ACJC)...=P So that means we didn't fork out any money at all =P
Everything was spent on edible molecules that were promptly digested by our stomachs. Haha what pigs we were =P
Following that, we left AC for Vivo, found out my stupid mistake, walked around to look at clothes and sneakers, then at pets (I love the cute schnauzers, mini schnauzers and elegantly graceful sheepdog!!!! :D) and other cute anime toys, and then settled ourselves on a neatly stiff and pokey grass patch at the open area on the...3rd level (I think) of Vivo. There, we started off crapping, and then had pleasant fellowship =)

Look at this cute mini schnauzer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Later, a group of youths with an adult (I later found out that they are from youth group in church and the man is a pastor) interupted politely to ask us for help with a survey. We obliged, and they started talking to us. The man talked to Tim, another girl to Anna, and this cute, bespectacled girl sat down and talked to me.
She pointed out that I am a Christian, and I was at first surprised that she knew, so I asked her how come she did, and she said that was because I was wearing a cross necklace. Haha. Blur me =P
After the survey, she asked me, "Er...can I ask you other questions?"
I was a little surprised, but said ok. And she started asking me about Psychology stuff, because she wants to have a Psychology-related career. -_- Wahaha. What a coincidence...or was it really? I had the feeling that God had brought me to her somehow, so I answered her queries seriously and as helpfully as possible.
Little did I know that God had brought her to me too, in a way. During our conversation, I learnt so much from this 16-year old girl. She was so open and unrestrained about everything that I felt ashamed to be an adult. (Once again, I'm so old :( )
One thing that I must mention: We had paused for a while, and then I asked her if she was in any ministry. She promptly replied, "Yes, children's church. What about you?"
I said no, but that I was considering joining the dance ministry (don't laugh =P), though I was hesitant because I was afraid that I would not be good enough.
Her reply was,"You should join! Just make use of whatever God has given you to praise and worship him."
Okay, okay, I will =) It's either dance or choir =)
Amazing what we can learn from children. No wonder Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3
Okay lah, she's not that young, but at least she's younger than me!! =P
After a long chat and lots of second-hand smoke inhaling (as, of all places, we were sitting near a dustbin where people threw their cigarettes in), we parted amicably and the three of us headed home.
It was a really nice day. God had answered my prayers =)


Post a Comment